The Pancake Recipe Has Arrived

By
Advertisement
blueberry-stack.jpg
I wrote about blueberry pancakes a while back but didn’t post my recipe because I thought it needed a little work. Well this morning I felt like working on it (actually, I felt like eating blueberry pancakes), so I now have a delicious whole grain sour cream blueberry pancake recipe for you, complete with nutrition info! I really think these are the best whole grain pancakes I’ve ever eaten!
These pancakes are good for you in the sense that they offer a good amount of fiber and protein compared to a traditional pancake. But like many of my recipes they are not low in fat. Perhaps you noticed the word “sour cream” in the recipe title? I used full fat sour cream because that’s what I like. But feel free to experiment with lowfat sour cream if you prefer. Just please don’t use any of those strange fat free concoctions that they try to pass off as sour cream…they scare me ;-)
This recipe uses oat bran and if you don’t normally keep it on hand, go ahead and buy some. I know what it’s like to buy an ingredient for one recipe and then never use it again. But I’ve already posted two muffin recipes featuring oat bran and now these pancakes. So you don’t really have an excuse not to try it! And since I like using it so much lately, I’m sure you’ll see a few more “oat bran” recipes popping up soon.
The suggested serving for this recipe is three pancakes, so when you look at the nutrition data, keep that in mind. They are much more filling than traditional pancakes and I actually found myself pretty full after eating only two of them. I’m pretty sure my husband could polish off quite a few more than that though! But now that I’ve made the full recipe and I’m currently the only one in the house, I’m going to be eating these pancakes for over a week! I hope they freeze well :-)
blueberry-pancakes-on-griddle.jpg
Whole Grain Sour Cream Blueberry Pancakes
1 1/2 C. whole wheat flour
1/4 C. wheat germ
1/2 C. oat bran
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 T. brown sugar

1 1/2 C. lowfat milk
1/2 C. sour cream
2 eggs
2 T. melted butter
1 C. blueberries
  1. In a large bowl, whisk together all dry ingredients.
  2. In a separate bowl whisk together, milk, sour cream and eggs.
  3. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until just combined. Stir in melted butter and blueberries.
  4. Drop pancake batter by 1/4 cupfuls (I just use a 1/4 dry measuring cup) onto a hot, greased griddle.
  5. Pancakes are ready to flip when the edges stary to dry out and darken.
  6. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment