Nando’s Honey Garlic Wings

By
Advertisement
nandos-honey-garlic-wings-2-for-web.jpg
This is a continuation of my previous review of Nando’s Peri Peri Sauces. I had three sauces to try out–Roasted Reds Cooking Sauce, Peri-Peri Marinade, and Garlic Peri-Peri Sauce. I used the first two sauces in my chicken pizza, but I had different plans for the Garlic Peri-Peri Sauce. It seemed like the sauce might be good on some chicken wings, so of course I tried it out. Guess what? It was good on chicken wings :-)
I had never cooked chicken wings before but I decided I wanted to grill them rather than fry or bake them. So, I turned to my favorite book on grilling, Elizabeth Karmel’s Taming the Flame. Sure enough, she had instructions for grilled Buffalo-Style Chicken Wings. I adapted the recipe a little but definitely can’t take credit for creating this one!
I used a bag of frozen chicken drummettes, but you’re welcome to use whole wings if that’s what you prefer. This recipe uses a combination of indirect and direct grilling, If you don’t understand the difference, read this before you get started. I didn’t give exact amounts of seasonings, just use your best judgment :-)
Nando’s Honey Garlic Wings
3 – 4 pounds chicken drummettes
olive oil
garlic powder
salt
pepper
4.7 oz. bottle Nando’s Garlic Peri-Peri Sauce

2 T. Butter
2 T. honey
  1. Light briquettes or preheat a gas grill.
  2. Defrost chicken pieces and pat dry with paper towels.
  3. Put chicken pieces in a large bowl; drizzle with olive oil; season with garlic powder, salt, and pepper; stir until all pieces are coated.
  4. Grill chicken pieces, covered, over medium indirect heat for 20 – 25 minutes, turning once halfway through cooking time.
  5. While chicken is grilling, combine hot sauce, butter, and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a slow boil, whisking occasionally, and reduce heat to low. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  6. Take 1/3 of the sauce to the grill and brush on the chicken. Grill for an additional 5 -10 minutes.
  7. Remove wings from grill and place in a clean bowl. Pour remaining sauce over the chicken and stir until they are well coated.
  8. Return the chicken to the grill, this time over direct medium heat. Grill for a few minutes on each side until brown and caramelized. Watch chicken carefully because it will burn quickly!
  9. Serve warm with blue cheese dip.
These wings have a little kick but they really aren’t too spicy. But even though these aren’t as spicy as traditional buffalo wings, the Nando’s Garlic Peri-Peri Sauce really gives them a wonderful flavor and I have to say that I enjoyed them as much or more than most wings I’ve had in restaurants and bars. They also got several thumbs up from a group of Sailors here that I recently recruited to be Pinch My Salt taste-testers. Thanks guys!

0 comments:

Post a Comment