Baking with Whole Grains: Pumpkin Maple Muffins

By
Advertisement
pumpkin-maple-muffin-for-web.jpg
There are so many yummy pumpkin bread recipes and photos floating around right now that I couldn’t help buying some canned pumpkin at the store yesterday. I had been planning on trying out one of the recipes I’ve seen lately but instead I decided to experiment. The recipe I came up with is similar to the other whole grain muffin recipes on this site with the exception that I used maple syrup to replace some of the sugar this time. The maple and pumpkin flavors are great together and these muffins are really nice and moist.
I ate one (ok, maybe two) of these with cream cheese this morning while they were still warm and I highly suggest trying them that way!
You might see a few more pumpkin recipes up here pretty soon. I’m dying to try this pumpkin soup that I saw a while back at The Traveler’s Lunchbox. Plus I have a new mini-muffin pan so I will probably be making some mini pumpkin muffins too!
Pumpkin Maple Muffins
*Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Whisk these ingredients together in a large bowl:
1 3/4 C. whole wheat pastry flour (or substitute any whole wheat flour)
1/2 C. pecan meal (1.5 oz. pecans, ground)
2 t. baking powder
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon

In a separate bowl, whisk together these ingredients:
1/3 C. maple syrup
1/2 C. packed brown sugar
1 C. pumpkin puree (I use canned)
1/2 C. buttermilk
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1/4 C. butter, melted
1/3 C. raisins
  1. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon until just combined.
  2. Immediately spoon batter into a greased 12-cup muffin tin.
  3. Place in the center of a preheated 375 degree oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.
  4. Check muffins after 20 minutes, muffins are done when you lightly touch the top of one of the muffins and it springs back.
  5. Let cool for five minutes in the pan and then remove muffins and let cool completely on a wire rack.

pumpkin-with-raisins.png

0 comments:

Post a Comment