Creamy Spinach Soup

By
Advertisement
spinach-soup-for-web.jpg
This was a soup that came about because I needed to use up some vegetables that had been hanging around my kitchen for a while. I had some chicken stock in the freezer so that’s what I used but using vegetable stock would make this a great vegetarian soup (leave out the cream and it becomes vegan-friendly too). I like everything a bit spicy these days so I added a couple hot Italian chilies (peperoncini). It wasn’t terribly spicy but I think the chili is what really made this soup special. I think any type of fresh chili would be fine but you could use some crushed red pepper instead. Or if you prefer no heat, add some bell pepper or leave the peppers out completely. Like most of my recipes, this soup is very flexible.
Creamy Spinach Soup
2 T. Olive Oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 hot peppers, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 C. Chicken or Vegetable Stock
1 10 oz. box frozen, chopped spinach, thawed
1/4 C. chopped flat leaf parsely
1/2 T. fresh chopped thyme
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
1/2 C. cream
  1. Saute onion, carrots and pepper in olive oil until just starting to brown.
  2. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for one minute.
  3. Add broth and potatoes, bring to a boil. Turn heat down then cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
  4. Add spinach, parsley and thyme; cook for another five minutes.
  5. Puree in blender or food processor (in batches if necessary) or put through a food mill.
  6. Return to pot. Add salt and pepper to taste then stir in cream and cook, stirring, over low heat until heated through.
This tastes even better the next day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment