Is Fall Here Yet?

By
Advertisement
carrot-potato-cheese-soup.jpg
Looking at this photo, I realize that I am ready for fall. When I ate this, it was probably about 90 degrees outside but looking at it now, I can almost feel a nice chill in the air. I love to eat soup any time of the year but thick hearty soups like this are always most satisfying when the days are shorter and the air turns cool enough to wear your favorite jeans and sweaters once again.
I needed to make more soup to use up the last of my chicken stock that I had recently defosted. And once again I also had some potatoes and carrots that had been hanging around for quite some time. I had no idea what I was making until it was finished. In fact I continued making changes into the following day. But this turned out to be one of my new favorites and I will definitely make it again once this long, hot Sicilian summer has finally gone.
My friends and family might be surprised that I am posting a potato soup recipe other than our favorite Potato Leek Soup that was my Mom’s specialty. Don’t worry, the Potato Leek Soup will make it’s way onto this blog soon enough. But for now, I suggest that everyone try this one…you won’t be disappointed!
I mentioned that I continuted making changes to this soup even into the second day. The change I made on day two was that I added a bag of frozen corn. I loved the soup the first day but I think the corn made it ten times better! If you don’t like corn, leave it out and this soup will still taste wonderful! Also, the cream can be omitted and the amount of cheese can be reduced if you’re looking for something with a little less fat. But as far as I’m concerned, this is the final recipe that I’ll be making again and again.
Carrot Potato Cheese Soup with Corn
1/4 C. butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 lb. carrots, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced (optional)
3 lbs. potatoes, peeled and chopped
4 C. chicken or vegetable stock
1 C. water
12 oz. frozen corn, defrosted
1 T. worcestire sauce
2 t. mustard powder
1/2 C. cream (optional)
8 oz. extra sharp cheddar, shredded
salt
freshly ground pepper
  1. In a large pot,  saute the onions and carrots in butter over medium-low heat for about 10 minutes or until just starting to brown.
  2. Add garlic and jalapeno (if using) and cook, stirring for one minute.
  3. Add potatoes, broth and enough water to barely cover the potatoes (only if needed). Bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
  4. Remove from heat and pass soup mixture through a food mill. You could also puree in a food processor or blender, or mash in the pot using a potato masher, depending on what consistency you prefer.
  5. Return soup to medium-low heat and add corn, worcestire and mustard powder. Cook, stirring until the corn is heated through.
  6. Turn heat to low, stir in cream (if using) and shredded cheddar cheese and stir until cheese is melted and incorporated. Remove from heat.
  7. Season with salt and lots of fresh ground pepper.
  8. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment